Moving the roofing industry forward, with diversity, equity and inclusion education.
REAL Roofing is an approved & registered provider of continuing education for architects, engineers, and construction professionals through AIA and ACEC.
It’s the 21st century. All forward-thinking leaders and professionals need to understand how to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. To fulfill our organizational missions as an industry, and activate our fullest and most profitable potential, we must understand and center these concepts in our workplace culture. This program is designed to establish for some, and reinforce for others, the fundamental principles for getting started with DEI.
If you’re ready to invest in your future and that of your company, join us for a six week micro-learning experience!
REAL Roofing is an educational program designed to move the roofing industry forward with diversity, equity, and inclusion – also known as DEI. National Women in Roofing prides itself on being innovators and change makers in the industry, and we are so proud to launch this program and create REAL change within the roofing community.
We’re all on different journeys when it comes to DEI and this course offers a solid foundational program in understanding what key terms mean and how to utilize them within the workplace and society.
Here’s how the course works:
- Approximate 15 minute micro-lessons delivered via text 3 timers per week
- Self-paced video lessons provide content to fit within your schedule
- Easy access with your phone or computer (without remembering passwords!)
- You’ll receive a workbook with lesson outlines and glossary of key terms
- Optional live weekly Zoom meeting to further discuss your learning experience and provide opportunity for questions and community engagement
- Cohort based for peer support while learning at your own pace (see registration page for next Cohort date)
- Upon completion of the program you’ll receive a digital badge to highlight and celebrate your accomplishment!
This course provides an overview of the key DEI concepts that are essential in the management of personal, interpersonal, institutional, and structural change:
- Identity & Language
- Bias Awareness
- Discrimination & Prejudice
- Leadership & Culture
What to expect from the program:
- Ground yourself in the forms of identity that shape yourself and your colleagues
- Explore the levers that drive destructive social hierarchies in our workforce
- Understand why inclusion matters.
- Overcoming incorrect intuitions about others.
- Model a shared vocabulary for inclusive communication.
What’s in a name?
In this case, REAL Roofing is inspired by the global leadership nonprofit, the Center for Creative Leadership. Their proprietary REAL™ framework for equity, diversity, and inclusion is informed by decades of making the world a better place through more effective leadership.
- Reveal opportunities
- Elevate equity
- Activate diversity
- Lead inclusively
In the fall of 2020, the Executive Committee of NWiR started discussing the need for an education program for the roofing industry on the topic of diversity, equity, and inclusion. It was determined that it was important to make sure that the program would be applicable to small and medium-size contractors and consultants, that it would be available at a low cost, and that the planning of the program would include voices from all various aspects of the roofing industry. The program is called REAL Roofing and launched a pilot program in March 2022. Through a multi-part interactive series, the REAL Roofing will be made available at a low cost to ANYONE in the roofing industry.